Friday, June 26, 2009

Belfast to Derry

I have really had a great couple of days. I had the priviledge to spend the evening with a Public Acheivement group called WIMPS (Where Is My Public Servent?) which is a group of young people in Belfast who talk to politicians and create a bi-weekly news cast that gets posted online. I got to chat with the youth - both Catholic and Prodestant - about their experiances with PA and how they got involved and such, as well as graze on life stories, though I was no in the position to press for details.

Afterwards, the leaders took me out for some pints and we talked about the meeting, what I saw and what I want to do back in America. Ben, the main leader and I stayed a bit longer and had a good talk over the walk home. It's looking like I have some people that I can meet up with in Derry, so we will see what happens in the next few days. Otherwise, on the way here we passed some beautiful little towns on the ocean with beaches, and if nothing else, I'll just go there for the day!

Yesturday I was on a tour bus along the coast and country side. It was so good to get out of the city and see everything here: it is unbelievably beautiful. Actually, its just like all the pictures, which is rather surprising. I'm so glad to be here. Went to the Giants Causeway and some other ruined castles and things along the north coast, all the way to Derry where I got a tour of the city walls and the Bogside murals. FINALLY. This is definatly the city where my novel takes place. I am back today, in my hostel and all set up, and I think I will be quite a bit happier here than in Belfast.

On the train a man talked to me the whole time, he was older and just sat down across from me and started chatting. It didn't take me long to realize I wasnt going to understand a word that came out of his mouth and that repeating 'What?' was not going to help either. So I just let him talk, laughed when he laughed and smiled a lot. I did understand him asking if I was married and that he was off to tell his son John right when he got home that he met a pretty girl for him on the train. By the end of the trip I was exhausted from trying to be polite and just wanted to head to the hostel, but he was really concered about my bag and me carrying it and wanted to hire me a taxi. Finally I just said 'Look, thanks, but I've hiked in the Rocky Mountains with a bag this big. I'm fine being lost in Derry for a few minutes.'

So I made it to the hostel alright. Seems like a good place. Josie will be here on Wednesday and I'll be glad to see her: traveling alone and not having another person who knows you well is rough. There are lots of great people around, but you have to meet each of them fresh and new and its taxing. I also realized I'm ready to be in the country for a long time and have some real work to be doing. The farm will be a good place to reach. For now I have some exploring to do. Heard they play traditional music every night at a pub down the road. Sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment